Dental Implants at Robson Family Dental
Do you have one or more missing teeth? Are you feeling less confident in your smile as a result? You can restore your smile easily with dental implants, individual prosthetic teeth designed to look and feel just like natural teeth. Take a look below and see the wonders that dental implants by our Grand Rapids dentist can do for your smile.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are constructed from three pieces: the titanium root fixture, the abutment, and the crown restoration. The titanium fixture mimics a tooth root, secured in the jawbone and serving as a foundation for the restoration to come. The abutment caps the fixture and anchors the crown in place.
Together, these components form a dental implant, offering the same durability, resilience, and natural appearance of a real tooth.
The Many Advantages of Implants
- Look and feel like natural teeth: We work hard to ensure that your dental implant restoration looks just like your real teeth. It will blend into your smile seamlessly.
- Durability: Since dental implants are embedded directly into the jawbone, they are incredibly stable, and able to withstand almost any textured food.
- Reliability: Dental implants are made to have a long lifespan. With proper care, your dental implant has the potential to last a lifetime, far surpassing the lifespan of dentures and dental bridges.
- Improved speech: Having missing teeth can impact how you speak, making for embarrassing social situations. By replacing missing or broken teeth with dental implants, you can restore your natural speech patterns.
- Improved bite strength: Without those missing teeth, it can be difficult to chew on your favorite foods, such as crunchy snacks, tough meats, and more. Dental implants are secured to your smile, eliminating all dietary restrictions.
- No change in diet: Patients with removable dentures often need to change the preparation of their food to keep from damaging their dental appliance. With dental implants, you no longer need to worry about that.
Dental Implants vs Other Restoration Treatments
While dental implants are rising in popularity, there are two other tooth restoration treatments that are fairly common: dentures and dental bridges. However, there are quite a few differences between these three treatments.
Dentures are generally removable and require daily maintenance to keep them clean. This often includes brushing and submerging the removable teeth in a cleaning solution. Since they are not directly in contact with your jawbone, they also only hold about half the bite strength. Dental implants are quite the opposite, offering a long-term stability that can’t be matched. In addition, they also don’t require any extra maintenance and can be cleaned with just a toothbrush and floss like any other tooth.
Dental bridges are a combination of three or more crowns that are placed over a space with a missing tooth. The two adjacent crowns are hollow and are capped over the teeth alongside the empty space in order to be secured in place. Dental implants are quite different, as they don’t rely on altering healthy adjacent teeth for support. In addition, dental bridges don’t offer healing support for deteriorated jawbone, while dental implants do.
Dental implants are the best choice for smile restoration. At Robson Family Dental, we believe that every patient with missing teeth deserves a strong smile. Visit our Grand Rapids implant dentist today or give us a call for a consultation, so that you can see for yourself why dental implants may be the best option for your tooth loss.