Dental Hygiene Visits in Grand Rapids, MI
The best offense is often a good defense, and this means defending your teeth from the many dental problems and diseases that are out there. While at-home care is important, it’s also vital that you regularly attend hygiene appointments with Dr. Robson every six months. During this visit to our dental office in Grand Rapids we’ll ensure that your smile is in the best shape to keep your confidence high and dentition healthy.
What to Expect From a Hygiene Visit
Whether it’s your first visit with us or your fiftieth, here’s what you can expect once you come by Robson Family Dental for your appointment.
Evaluations: One of the first things that will happen is we will take x-ray scans of your smile. We’ll use these to check on your teeth, the condition of your jawbone, any teeth that are coming in, or any dental appliances or restorations you have.
Cleaning: This is when our hygienists and Dr. Robson get up close and personal with your smile. They’ll floss and polish your teeth, cleaning away any stubborn plaque build-up, and checking the surfaces of your teeth for pockets and pits of possible tooth decay.
Follow-Up: At the end of the appointment, Dr. Robson will be there to advise you on how to best care for your teeth in between appointments. If any further treatment is required, Dr. Robson will sit down with you to discuss your options.
Best Dental Care Practices at Home
- Brushing: Remember to use a soft-bristle toothbrush and to not rub the gums too hard. You only need a pea-size amount of toothpaste to be effective.
- Flossing: When flossing, don’t push the string too hard down into space between the gums. Instead, use a scooping motion to pull food particles out of your gums to remove them rather than pack them in further.
- Avoid Tobacco: Smoking and other tobacco products can leave your teeth yellowed and covered in deteriorating chemicals. In addition, it can cause dry mouth, meaning that your saliva production is down.
- Limit Sugar Consumption: Sugar and carbohydrates are what cavity-causing bacteria feed off of, so it’s best to reduce your intake of these products. So long as you keep your mouth clean, you can prevent these bacteria from taking hold.
- Report Any Strange Changes: If you notice any strange lumps or areas that change color, let our Grand Rapids dentist know! We’ll bring you in and take a look to diagnose the area for any potential risks.
Looking for a children’s dentist in Grand Rapids, MI? Robson Family Dental is proud to offer comprehensive services for all family members, including the youngest members. Dr. Robson and our team can provide hygiene services for your children and teens, from routine cleanings to fillings and some orthodontics.
Don’t drive all over the city to different dental providers to ensure that your family gets all the care they need. You can find it all in one place, here at Robson Family Dental.
Ready for Your Next Appointment? Call Us!
Don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions you may have about our cleaning services or other treatments that we offer. If you’d like to schedule a new patient consultation, feel free to give us a call or fill out our contact form. We proudly serve patients in Grand Rapids, MI and the surrounding areas.