Pediatric Dentistry in Grand Rapids, MI
At Robson Family Dental, we offer pediatric dentistry to help your child maintain good oral hygiene as they grow. When you visit our caring practice, Dr. Robson will provide a gentle and welcoming environment to make your child feel safe and comfortable. We will teach them proper oral hygiene habits, such as the correct way to brush your teeth.
Perks of a Pediatric Dentist
These are a few reasons why our patients and their kids love visiting our Grand Rapids practice for your child’s dental care:
- Specialized training – Dentists that offer pediatric care often undergo extra training to care for children. This is because of the range of problems that developing smiles face, including cavities, baby teeth, and gum disease.
- Child comfort – A pediatric dentist has an excellent chairside manner that will keep your kids relaxed during their visit. Dr. Robson and his team should explain certain dental care habits to your children, so they are taught properly.
- Habit-Teaching – It’s essential for children to learn about the importance of brushing and flossing at an early age. Bad habits such as thumb sucking and teeth grinding need to be stopped as soon as possible.
- Individualized dental care – The best reason to visit a pediatric dentist is preventative care. At Robson Family Dental, we tailor our treatments to your child’s dental needs whether it’s polishing, fluoride treatment, fillings, and more.
What to Expect at Your Pediatric Appointment
When you visit Robson Family Dental for the first time, it would be best if your child reaches their first birthday or when their first tooth emerges. During the first visit, our Grand Rapids dental team will take our time to explain whatever we’re doing to ensure your child feels comfortable.
During follow-up visits, we’ll complete the following:
- X-rays and Oral Exams
- Fluoride Needs
- Best Practices for Your Child’s Care
Dental Care Tips for Your Kids
No matter how strong children’s teeth are, parents can make a significant impact on their future dental health by modeling good behavior. At Robson Family Dental, we want to set your kid up for success. That’s why we’ve created this list of helpful tips below.
- Start from Infancy – Before your child’s first teeth erupt, it’s best if you clean your baby’s gums with a damp, soft washcloth. This will help your child become used to oral care, and ensure the gums stay healthy until their teeth emerge.
- Maintain Routine Office Visits – Getting your children used to bi-annual dentist visits will be great for them later in life. Contrary to popular belief, it’s counterproductive to reward your child for going to the dentist, as this implies it’s something to be endured. We recommend making dentist visits part of a fun trip. Take them to the movies, the park, or any other enjoyable place before or after your appointment.
- When Teeth Erupt – As soon as your child’s first tooth emerges, you can begin to brush it gently. Once the neighboring teeth start to erupt, you can start flossing.
- Brushing & Flossing – Implementing good oral hygiene habits can be difficult with children, so we recommend making their brushing and flossing routine fun. One way you can go about this is by buying a toothbrush with their favorite cartoon character on it. You can also ask Dr. Robson to give your child a “lesson” on how to brush their teeth, so they learn directly from a professional.
- Tooth-Friendly Diet – To set your child up for success, we recommend a balanced diet of fruits, vegetables, cheese, lean meat, and nuts—compared to cookies, candy, and chips. Children often worry about eating unfamiliar foods, so make healthy foods convenient. One way to do this is to have a container of pre-prepared healthy snacks, like chopped carrots, blocks of cheese, or apple slices.
Are you looking for a pediatric dentist in Grand Rapids, MI? Look no further than Robson Family Dental. Dr. Robson and his team will make sure you and your child get the dental care they deserve. We know you want what’s best for your child, so contact our office at 616-942-9595 to schedule your first appointment. Alternatively, you can leave your information in the submission box, and we’ll get back to you promptly.
Need a pediatric dentist in Grand Rapids, MI? Look no further than Robson Family Dental. Dr. Robson and his team are dedicated to offering your child the best dental care from a young age to adulthood. We’re conveniently located in Grand Rapids, MI and serve the surrounding communities including Kentwood, Forest Hills, and Whitneyville.