Pediatric Dentistry at Robson Family Dental
Good dental care habits should start while patients are young, and this includes introducing them to the dentist. By caring for your child’s teeth from infancy, you can ensure that they enjoy a healthier smile for the future. In addition, it’s best to bring your child to a pediatric dental specialist like Dr. Robson for kid-friendly care in a welcoming environment. Take a look below at some tips for pediatric dental care here in Grand Rapids, MI.
Advantages of a Pediatric Dentist
These are just a few reasons that patients and their children love to visit our Grand Rapids pediatric dentist for your child’s dental care:
- Specialized Training: Dentists that offer pediatric care often undergo extra training to care for children. This is due to the range of problems that still-developing smiles face, including cavities, baby teeth, gum disease, and wisdom teeth.
- Child Comfort: A pediatric dentist has the great chairside manner to keep kids comfortable during their visits. If it’s hard for you to explain certain dental care habits to your children, let Dr. Robson and his team help you clarify for them.
- Habit Counseling: It’s vital that children learn about the importance of brushing and flossing early on in life. Other habits like thumb sucking and teeth grinding should be broken as soon as possible.
- Tailored Dental Care: The top reason to visit a pediatric dentist is preventative care. At Robson Family Dental, we tailor treatments to your child’s dental needs, whether it’s polishing, fluoride treatment, fillings, and more.
Dental Care Tips for Toddlers and Children
- Start From Infancy: Clean your baby’s gums with a damp, soft washcloth. This will help your child become used to oral care, and help ensure the gums stay healthy as baby teeth start to emerge.
- What To Do When Teeth Erupt: As soon as the first tooth erupts, you can start to gently brush it. Once teeth start erupting side-by-side, begin to floss as they touch.
- Make Bi-Annual Trips to the Dentist: Once more teeth start to emerge, start taking your child to the dentist at least every six months to get them used to these visits.
- Brushing and Flossing Habits: When you first start introducing your child to toothpaste, all you need is a pea-size amount on the toothbrush. As they get older with more teeth, gradually add a little more.
- Beware of Baby Bottle Tooth Decay: It’s possible for infants and toddlers to get cavities at this early age due to bottle feeding without proper oral care. To help reduce this risk, avoiding giving your child juice or soda before bed or naptime and be sure to thoroughly clean their smiles each day.
What to Expect at a Pediatric Appointment
Visits to Robson Family Dental should start when you child reaches their first birthday or when their first tooth emerges. During the first visit, our Grand Rapids dental team will go slow, ensuring your child feels comfortable in our office. During follow-up visits, we’ll conduct the following:
- X-rays and Oral Exams
- Best Practices for Your Child’s Care
- Fluoride Needs
Need a pediatric dentist in Grand Rapids, MI? Look no further than Robson Family Dental. Dr. Robson and his team are dedicated to offering your child the best dental care from a young age to adulthood. We’re conveniently located in Grand Rapids, MI and serve the surrounding communities including Kentwood, Forest Hills, and Whitneyville.